Tuesday 15 June 2004

DWIM

I have a TV tuner in my PC that lets it act like a television, radio and VCR. Last night I set it to record a TV program, as I do, and I'd been using it to listen to radio. When I came back home I'd found that it had recorded an hour and a half of radio instead of television. I guess telling the program to record television wasn't a clear enough signal that I wanted it to actually record a television signal. If it was an intelligent program, I could blame it for waking up and thinking "Right, I'm supposed to record television, but I'm in radio mode. I can't find the TV channel on the radio, so I'll just record radio instead". I can't blame it, because it didn't know what it was doing.

The person I can blame is the programmer who forgot to write the software in such a way that it would switch from radio to TV if it's supposed to record a TV signal. So I do.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Now I've got an email to write.
PPS - It might not be nasty. Maybe.

No comments: