Tuesday 6 July 2004

I Watch Too Much Television

Last night, due to a voting mis-count, the latest Big Brother evictee, Bree, was returned to the house. The phone company that handles the phone voting stated "human error" as the cause. I'm sure it's cost them plenty in bad press, time and cold hard cash, but they did act with honesty and integrity. I like Eddie Izzard's comment on admitting wrongdoing - sometimes we do it just so people will think "My, what a strong personality that person has. I like to have sex with people with strong personalities.". I doubt the phone company is similarly motivated, though.

I also watched Faking It - the second episode I've ever seen. They turned a shy junkyard worker into a catwalk model. I wondered later if they ever choose a profession that doesn't involve some performance aspect. I wouldn't think so, because it takes a bit of performance to make good television.

At the enthusiastic recommendation of a co-worker and the fact that Foxtel is currently giving away the Comedy Channel for free, I watched Conan O'Brian and I don't think I'll bother in future. Having not had the pleasure before, I'd have to say he's a very strange looking guy. His face is just about flat from the front, like he was pressed hard against a wall until his head reshaped. He only made me laugh with "If They Mated". The rest was hardly worth my time. I expected a little more energy. I hardly think the opinion of one Australian will matter, though. Especially since I didn't watch in the first place and don't have the chance to watch later.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I left after that, just as Naked News was starting up.
PPS - I wonder how long my Dad watched that before changing channels or switching off. Doesn't seem like his kind of show.

No comments: