Tuesday 24 August 2004

Greeks bearing gifts

Apparently the family PC at home has a Trojan horse program resting on it. AVG Anti-virus found it and reported it, so Ug uninstalled it, and that should have been that. Windows had the "brilliant" idea of storing the uninstalled program as part of a system restore point. Even that would have been fine, in a way, but the AVG Resident Shield keeps finding the backed-up version and telling me to run the main scan, which I do. The main scan skips the restore directory, so reports no infection, by which time the Resident Shield has vigilantly located the offending program and warned me again.

I was about to blame Microsoft (as I usually do) when it occurred to me that the program, if it was a bit clever, could have placed itself in the backup directory. That way, it would get re-installed if you tried to roll back to a clean version of Windows. Tricky.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Of course I can get rid of it.
PPS - I just didn't have the time last night. Too busy being a Hero.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its Chris here...

I think you should blame microsoft anyway.....it always makes me feel better.....