Friday 20 August 2004

Potato, Pertayter

Even though they're both words (and synonyms, at that) I much prefer the word "oriented" to "orientated". The second one (which I shall avoid typing again, if I can) just sounds so ... moronic, in my opinion. It feels like it came about through the same kind of process by which we now tend to accept the spoken forms capsican, Wimbleton, supposably and Febuary. Don't get me started on aks (ask) or [let me be] pacific. If you talk to me and mispronounce words this way, you can expect to lose my respect fairly quickly and my attention shortly after that. Honestly, it's one step away from being a slack-jawed yokel.

Yeah, I guess I am a pedantic bastard sometimes. I blame programming and reading.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I wonder if the upcoming movie Wimbledon was, in part, intended to correct that particular speech error.
PPS - Probably not.

No comments: