Sunday 1 August 2004

The Sunday Mok - A Hero's Life

Although I was scheduled for a very busy day on Sunday, I came down with a head cold, so I just attended church services. I skipped a lunch event, a charity walk and a karate seminar. This was also the day that I started playing City of Heroes.
On Monday I missed the entire Big Brother final eviction because of a bug in Pinnacle PCTV Pro. I have since found out that the file is corrupted and will still play under certain limited circumstances. My Aunt and Uncle came over for dinner, too, which was unexpected, even though I had apparently been notified in advance. I thought about Saturday night and Kym a bit, too, because she demonstrated a knowledge of and concern for my beliefs that had not been mentioned that night.
I almost called in sick on Tuesday, then soldiered on after clearing my head of the mucus that had built up overnight. I did stay home from karate, though. At work I started a significant redesign of the bulk data entry web service, because it was not equipped to handle some new demands.
My head cold continued on Wednesday (and is, in fact, still going right now). I missed no work during the week. The Youth Leadership Development training at night made me uneasy about my role, because we were discussing the need to be proficient in areas where I know I definitely lack skills.
On Thursday afternoon we had a power outage for an hour. Most of our section went home fairly quickly, but the power did come back on in time to resume work. I stayed. At night, I created my second City of Heroes character - a magical blaster called The Bane Mage.
Friday I actually started writing the new web service. I took time to design it properly, which pinpointed the trouble spots and let me informally specify them. I'm doing this one by the book, just to see if it really does keep costs and development time down. The youth group program for the night was based on The Apprentice, which worked rather well.
On Saturday I filled most of my day with City of Heroes (I can quit any time I want) and also trekked out to the Garden City Megaplex to see Shaolin Soccer. Shaolin Soccer is, by far, the best kung-fu sports comedy ever. I do think that it could have been written a bit better, though.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Then again, without poor writing, how would we know it's a kung-fu movie?
PPS - I mean, apart from the kicking, punching, jumping and screaming.

No comments: