Sunday 26 September 2004

The Sunday Mok - In Depth

This has been one of my busier weeks in recent history, or at least it felt that way.

On Sunday morning, the day after the bucks party, we had to get the bus back to the rental place by 09:00. The Pacific International carpark had been a bit unfriendly to us on the way in, so I was not exactly looking forward to moving the enormous vehicle out again. We grabbed a few guys that weren't comatose and made our way to the bus. It quickly became clear that we would not be driving out forwards, as there was not enough room to maneuver around that way. So, with three guys watching my corners and sides, I gradually backed down the entry ramp, sometimes with only centimetres to spare. It took about fifteen minutes, which meant (to me) that I was right to suggest the taxi for the previous night. Anyway, we returned the bus without a scratch and I was relieved to see it go ... until I remembered that we'd left Daniel's golf clubs in the back.
I've noticed Michelle being a bit more friendly to me recently. Not over-friendly, just acquaintance-level, up from "familiar stranger". She used to treat me like you might treat a co-worker that you have to be around, but can't actually get along with.
On Monday at lunchtime I went out hunting for the Star Wars DVDs, potentially being sold before their official release date of Wednesday. It looked like many other people had the same idea, but there were no discs to be seen. There was a suspiciously-empty generic display stand out the front of JB-HiFi, though. In the evening, straight after work, we had another rehearsal for the Esther skit to be performed on Sunday night. I've been learning my lines during my bus trips.
On Tuesday lunch I did manage to score some Star Wars DVDs, plus a belt and shoes to complete my wedding outfit for Saturday. I went with a "rock star formal" look (no tie, shirt untucked, sneakers rather than dress shoes), which was much more comfortable to me. I also took ninety minutes to do about one third of my first aid theory work.
Wednesday evening I had a Youth Leadership Development meeting, and it now looks like these are set to occupy every second Wednesday night until the end of time. That leaves me with three open weekday nights every two weeks - Mondays and every second Wednesday. Add in the fact that I've just accepted the challenge of tutoring Tim through his Java programming on Wednesdays, I guess that leaves Mondays.
Thursday I re-committed to regular exercise. I used to run for half an hour twice a week during university.
On Friday, I think I may actually have done no work somehow. I spent most of the morning trying (unsuccessfully) to set up OpenWFE for evaluation, and most of the afternoon studying for my first MCAD exam. I saw Dodgeball after work, too. Review Monday.
Saturday: The Wedding. I arrived at the church early, as instructed, and was the first there. Kym arrived moments later. I was an usher at the door, so I got to see Julia when she arrived and before she walked in. She looked terrified, but stunning. The way these two looked at each other during the ceremony was enough in itself to reduce most people to tears. The reception was fun, too. Our tables were named after soccer teams - I was seated at Aston Villa. As Lydia walked behind my chair, filming well-wishing messages from guests, I accidentally crunched it down on her toes. I felt particularly bad about this because (a) I couldn't do anything to make it feel better and (b) this is the first time I've seen her in over a year. Is it two years? Could be. So it was like "Welcome back to Australia! Here's a chair on your foot!". Sorry, Lyd.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I was probably supposed to catch the garter.
PPS - For a certain value of "supposed".

No comments: