Sunday 3 October 2004

The Sunday Mok - Easier Times

This week was, overall, less hectic than the previous one, simply because my extra activities returned to their normal level.
Most of Sunday afternoon was spent rehearsing our Esther drama for the church service in the evening. It was only the second time the entire cast had been together for rehearsals, so we had to work hard. I was only confident with my lines once the actual performance got going and I still missed a cue that Tavia made up for.
On Monday at work, Our Fearless Leader held a long "staff briefing" indoctrination session where the entire office staff heard all about how great our company is and how much money we've made for other people. I fell asleep. I did, however, uncover a roadblock in the promotions policy:
  • I am a software engineer
  • Our company will only promote an engineer above level 4 after they are a certified IEAust member
  • IEAust does not recognise software engineering degrees, so I cannot become certified
This probably won't be a big problem for another couple of years.
Tuesday I spent most of my time at work upgrading my component of our software framework. It has to handle some extra database information now, and the change took more than one day, even though it was reasonably simple. It was shallow, but wide-reaching.
Wednesday I bought The Sims 2 and played City of Heroes. I was supposed to tutor Tim to help with his Java programming, but he never showed up and I couldn't find him via phone.
Thursday, besides the lightsabre, I saw Alien vs Predator and quite liked it. I started playing Sims 2, and found it a bit challenging to get into, like the original. I think that's because it's new and more involved, plus I haven't played the original game in ages.
For most of Friday I was working on a way to automatically alert job leaders about missing data in the database when they need to enter it. The problem with missing data, however, is that it isn't there, so locating it can be a problem. Coupled with the complicated data structures we're using, it's quite slow going.
Saturday I saw Wimbledon which was not on my list, but I did enjoy it. Before the movie I bumped into three people I know: Kym, Kathryn from high school and Peter from QUT. I also did a bit more venting, so this morning I feel pretty good.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I think my venting writing is too rambling to post here.
PPS - Wimbledon review tomorrow.

No comments: