Wednesday 3 November 2004

It's called a horror show for a reason

Most of my friends are fascinated by the Rocky Horror Picture Show, and will jump up gleefully to dance the Time Warp any time it's played. I always cite "childhood trauma" and sit it out, much to their disappointment. I think I should elaborate on my sparse story a bit more.

Our primary school used to have a costume ball every year which, among other activities, included modern "freeform" dance to popular music of the day. This was where I first encountered Rocky Horror in the form of the Time Warp. I was probably 7 or 8 years old.

Strange music started to play - I did not recognise it, but everyone else immediately sparkled with glee and ran to the dance floor. Their faces locked into a manic mask as they gyrated to this bizarre song that everyone seemed to know but me. Friends, teachers and complete strangers urged me to join in and perform the steps I was unfamiliar with. The dance continued for what seemed like ages, and the dancers all the while looked like grinning, mindless zombies to me.

When the music faded and the spell was broken, there was no aftermath as I had thought. Nobody fell down as if magically sapped of strength. Nobody shook their heads clear and wandered from the floor confused as to what just happened. I seemed to be the only one aware of the powerful and continuing effect of this music, and I wanted nothing to do with it.

So that's it. I can't join in with the Rocky Horror singalong, thankyou, because I like my mind in it's current shape.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Earlier in my life I had a similarly traumatising experience with the Hokey Pokey.
PPS - Don't ask.

No comments: