Sunday 7 November 2004

The Sunday Mok - 7 November 2004

Late once again - this is a Final Fantasy XI-related delay. I've really got to buy a wireless broadband router one of these days.
Last Sunday I did a bit of trick-or-treating inside City of Heroes and made a new character I called "Zombie Slayer" in honour of and inspired by Buffy. I grabbed my copy of Uru and a hint file and started pummelling the thing into submission because, frankly, I was sick of it sitting there taunting me. Now I'm going to finish it, hint file or not. I realised that one of my main complaints with this game is that the puzzles are decidedly unlike puzzles (eg "it's dark") and the solutions are so bizarre as to render their discovery almost pure chance. I think I failed in part because I had no idea there was even a puzzle to be solved.
On Monday at work I was helping with a data transformation and import that I didn't quite understand. I didn't need to, either, so when it went a bit wrong later in the week, I was almost completely unable to offer any further help. I also concluded that I am, at times, a one-man love triangle.
During Tuesday night's karate class, I got a bit angry and focused it into training. I suppose that is from the Dark Side. Most of the day at work I was just tinkering with things, making minor improvements here and there, and getting my hands into the CW Manager code left behind by Matt.
Wednesday, apparently, all I could think of was girls. Or one girl. Maybe I should just leave it at that.
On Thursday I started using a wiki to keep some of my project documentation. I doubt we will start using it for everything, though, because we already have a large legacy of documentation in regular Word documents that would take lots of time and effort to successfully copy in. I did it mostly for my own amusement. I started preliminary testing of my transaction approval system, to work out any prototyping bugs.
Friday I gave co-worker Adrian a brief introduction to the transaction approvals system to let him start to work it into his dashboard user interface. He'll still be coming to grips with it on Monday, and I think I'll be making some improvements. For the youth group program that night, we went to Live at the Princess, a regular Christian music event at a spot in Woolloongabba. It was pretty cool, especially since I got to see Gerald play for the first time in a while. They rock, by the way. I also won tickets to go see Soulframe and Rookie next Saturday, and I have two friends, Michelle and Bridgit, who are into one of those bands each. They'd probably both go anyway, so I guess I'm just deciding who gets to save some money.
Saturday was just a relaxation day. I went for a run before breakfast, played Heroes in the morning, slept a bit in the afternoon then saw Hero in the evening. After that I went to Mia's place to hang out with Muz, Bridgit, Ashleigh, Stu, Mia and Sam, which mostly involved playing competitive Tetris and some Jenga. It was fun.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Review of Hero on Monday morning.
PPS - The short version is that it's quite cool.

No comments: