Sunday 14 November 2004

The Sunday Mok - The Musical (starring Mokalus as himself)

I think the primary feature of my life recently has been music rather than movies or games. I may be wrong.
Sunday we had New Zealand band The Lads play at our evening church service. This was their second trip to our suburb and they were a little apprehensive. Last time they were here (playing at the high school) they opened with a cover of a Blink 182 song and received a round of "boo"s in return. It went much better this time around. I bought a CD and had the band sign it.
Monday at work was ho-hum: some work on a news system for our section website that's woefully out of date and uncool. After watching Australian Idol I went to Bridgit's to see "Duplex".
On Tuesday I finished off the site news system and set it loose, though it's still unpolished. Good thing we'll be the only ones who can see the ugly bits. Our Bible study group went to visit the Toowong Early Adults to see how they do things differently over there. The answer is "not very much differently".
Wednesday at work I (figuratively) smacked my head against the wall repeatedly just trying to figure out what was making my program fail. I have an answer now. I just wish it could have been easier to come by. I had expected Tim around for Java tutoring, but he never showed, so I made the most of my night off by watching The Simpsons and Joan of Arcadia. I wondered where my time goes. I blame television.
On Thursday I started on a personal project that had been nagging at me for a while. It's a program that can download regularly-posted files from the 'net, remembering when the last successful download was and looking from there. I plan to use it as a way of creating a personalised webcomics page every day. I swapped Bible study and karate nights this week, so I trained under a different sensei. He took a bit of a different approach, teaching mostly through games. I think that's come from the fact that he also teaches the children's class.
Friday I solved a major problem in part of our project that had been bugging me for ages and I thought it was going to be way hard. As it turned out, it worked rather easily once I let go of the idea that a database query would have to be generated automatically. Now the query is stored in the database and everything works wonderfully. That's going to win me some points, as long as nobody finds out how easy it turned out to be.
Saturday was a bit of a rest day - City of Heroes and sleep, followed by a CD launch concert at night. Soulframe launched their new album "Escaping Entropy" and were backed up on the night by Jazz band Scat and a semi-acoustic set from Rookie. There wasn't much room to move down near the front of the stage, where I was. That was fun, though I'm a bigger fan of punk than Soulframe's straight rock.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Well, it felt like more music.
PPS - I guess you had to be there.

No comments: