Wednesday 17 November 2004

They won't let me have my toys

There are any number of fascinating programs I'd like to download and play with and I just can't get them. I remember one from my university days: my Artificial Intelligence lecturer (that's the lecturer that taught AI, not an AI doing teaching work) mentioned a program that had a set of rules governing mathematical reasoning and exploration. It (apparently) discovered several well-known constructs like integers, prime numbers etc. and a new mathematical concept, then they pulled the plug. I'd like to see that, but this is all the information I have.
There's also HANDS, a programming language/environment built for kids around natural problem-solving thinking. It's available by "special arrangement" which probably means I'd have to be doing research to get my grubby little paws on a copy. I suppose I'll just have to read some of that research and try to produce a similar system at home.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - There have been many others through the years, too.
PPS - Most of them I have forgotten and given up on.

No comments: