Monday 21 March 2005

Attack of the Zombies, Mate

Movie review: Undead

Would you see it again in the cinema? If it was re-released, yes.
Will you buy the DVD? Maybe if I see it on special for less than $20.
Will you watch it again on TV? At least once more.
Good points? Zombies, Aussie humour.
Bad points? Characters that will not bloody calm down.

I say to you "Australian B-grade movie" and you'd lose interest almost immediately, I'm sure. If I say "Australian B-grade zombie movie clearly written by a fisherman" and there must be a dark pile you'd relegate it to straight away. If you then watch the first five or ten minutes of Undead, you'll be certain you were right. The whole thing is on-par for a B-grade movie, with a B-grade plot, B-grade actors and shot on B-grade film stock. Yet somehow it all pulled together for me.

The panicky cop started to irritate me a bit, mostly because every effing second effing word from his effing mouth started with 'f' and rhymed with truck, and I'm not exaggerating here. It was done for comic effect, just a bit overdone in my opinion. Despite that, it seems to work, but it is definitely a B-movie, and takes itself about as seriously as that. Check it out and gasp in horror at mid-range production values!

Mokalus of Borg

PS - The aliens definitely steal the show.
PPS - I thought the shotguns bolted together was a bit much.

No comments: