Thursday 24 March 2005

Australian Idiot

I remember being a bit disappointed with Green Day's album American Idiot at first, thinking that they had been too concerned with telling their "Jesus of Suburbia" story, but the more I listen to the album the more I appreciate it. This is not just Green Day punk rock. This is punk music. A cohesive, frankly brilliant, rock opera.

It's not packed with high-energy hits like the title track, so it takes a little more time to sink in and be appreciated. I'd say this is one of those albums that will get mentioned near the top of Green Day's discography as a defining work. It'll hang around for years, gaining fans and position in the list.

I can't speak for the future of the band, or the taste of their fans-yet-to-be, but I do believe in this album as quality, even if it's the story of Jesus of Suburbia, Saint Jimmy and Whatsername.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I often find myself queueing up the entire album for a long session.
PPS - That's really the best way to hear it.

No comments: