Thursday 4 August 2005

Zombie sprinter breaks world record - 100m in 3min

George A. Romero, godfather of zombie movies, says zombies should be slow. Personally I think that both fast zombies (Dawn of the Dead remake, 28 Days Later) have their place, as do slower "classic" zombies. I start having problems when zombies show intelligence even just at the level of tool-using. I was upset when one in the Dawn remake held a door open for another one. I got similarly distressed when I saw zombies wielding makeshift clubs in Night of the Living Dead.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - This is why I'm apprehensive about Land of the Dead.
PPS - Still excited, though. It opens today in Australia.

5 comments:

Erin Marie said...

So, are you going to see it tonight?

John said...

I would, but I've made other plans already. It'll have to be Saturday, I guess.

Erin Marie said...

You know, I've never really thought that much about zombies that it would bother me if I saw them opening doors or using clubs. The running I would probably notice.

But then, I guess if you showed me a movie that had vampires walking around in broad daylight, I'd have a lot to say. About the vampires. But I'd also have a lot to say about the fact that you tried to get me to watch a vampire movie.

John said...

Interview With the Vampire is pretty good, but would still give you some problems, I'm sure. And towards the end of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Mina Harker walks around in broad daylight. In Africa.

In my opinion (primarily informed by the Zombie Survival Guide), zombies should be mindless. Tool usage should be quite beyond them, as well as the concepts of doors, ladders, vehicles and cliffs. They should show no concern for their own safety (including no fear of fire) and should not help each other out. They've got one goal and the relentlessness to eventually see it through. That in itself is terrifying enough.

Erin Marie said...

I've seen Interview with a Vampire - yes, there were some problems with it, but they were semi-adequately explained. Why a Vampire would be walking around in broad daylight in Africa is beyond me.

I guess I just don't know enough about zombies. They've never really fascinated me the way vampires do. What's one person's choice of mythological creature is another persons trash I guess.

(Yes, I know, that didn't make any sense.)