Tuesday 11 October 2005

It's Alive!

A while ago I wrote about Urban Dead, a "browser-based, grid-mapped, free-to-play multi-player game where you play the survivor or victim of a zombie outbreak in a quarantined city centre". I'd been playing as a zombie thus far, smashing barricades and generally attacking people as I encountered them. I would often come back to the game to find myself dead, which is just a minor setback for a zombie.

Now I came back to find that someone had raised me from the dead to a fully alive state, dragged me inside a building, and handed me a GPS device. At least, I think that's what's happened. It could easily be a bizarre bug. The problem is that I'm not sure how to be alive in this game. I need to seek shelter before my turn ends, or else I'll be attacked on the outside and left for dead again. All the buildings are heavily barricaded to prevent anyone from getting in, so I'd need first to clear the barricades, then get inside, then barricade the doors again. Maybe I'll just stay put for a while, listening to that GPS device beep.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Being alive in a city full of zombies is much more stressful than being undead.
PPS - I doubt zombies have many problems with stress.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And here in lies the key problem with a zombie scenario.

The rules state there must always be at least one single surivor, although more often than not this individual is often partnered with another individual of equal or lesser status, that will act as a deadweight for the majority of the time, however justify their existence at a highly stressful moment in the plot, thus redeeming themselves for the entire event.

In this situation, you should probably establish which of these two archetypes you are, and should you be the former, set about finding the latter. Should you be the latter, just lie about and scream at the appropriate times, and wait for your moment of validation!