Tuesday 31 January 2006

Free Society

Can a society operate without money and without trade? If there is no money, then everything is free. If everything is free, there is no poverty, because you can have all you need. If everything is free, there is no greed and hence no crime. If health care is free, nobody dies of curable diseases. If education is free, there is no intellectual elite and no information hoarding or propaganda. It looks good on the surface.

The problems are deeper. If everything is free, why should I work to produce anything? I can have everything I need as well as all my time to myself. I can be a voluntary leech on society. So can everyone else, so nobody would work. Since nobody is working, nothing gets produced, and everyone goes hungry, gets sick and stays uneducated.

If there is an economy, it is based on worth. Direct trade has had a layer added to it - an abstraction called "money" - on which we base it all. I sell my time and skills at work for money and use it to buy the food I need. This is more convenient for everyone, because my time and skills are not of direct value to everyone from whom I require goods and services, and it would be impractical for me to trade directly with all of them.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - This post inspired by Space Wasters by David Garnett.
PPS - I have yet to find it listed on Amazon, so no links today.

7 comments:

Erin Marie said...

Sometimes you astound me with the depth of your intelligence.

Anonymous said...

Trust me, it is VERY deep!

UntilThatDay said...

John says: "The problems are deeper. If everything is free, why should I work to produce anything? I can have everything I need as well as all my time to myself. I can be a voluntary leech on society. So can everyone else, so nobody would work. Since nobody is working, nothing gets produced, and everyone goes hungry, gets sick and stays uneducated."


One can only speak for oneself. As for me, my love for humanity would be my motivation to work, simply because my love for humanity is much deeper than all of the problems mentioned above. All I (we) need is love... Love is all I (we) need. How deep is your love? One perfect love. Until that day!!!

John said...

It's true that only altruistic motives would induce someone to work. Free health care might be the ideal, but if there are no health workers, then it kind of falls over. Robots would fit the bill nicely, but who works to produce their power? And if the robots are doing all the work, then what are the humans for?

UntilThatDay said...

I am confident that there will be a human worker for every work that needs to be covered. I am a man of faith; not blind faith that is endorsed by organized religion. As for the robots, they can help where help is needed. However, we as humans are the masters of our destiny. We can make it work, John. Try Jah love!!! One love, one heart. Let's get together and feel alright!!! One perfect love. Until that day!!!

John said...

Many others do not share your concern for the greater good. I am also a man of faith, though a slightly different one than yours. And let's not forget that men of faith in the past believed God would never allow any of his creatures to become completely extinct. We don't fully know what kind of harm we might inflict upon ourselves in many areas of life.

Could we make a world without resource pressures work? I don't doubt we would find a way, but the transition would likely involve much trial and error.

UntilThatDay said...

Our faith does not allow for us to be concerned about those whose concern is not for the greater good. We have been called, chosen, and therefore, must remain faithful to our calling.

The fact that we are here today proves that God will never allow His children to be destroyed. We play a central role in His plan, therefore, if we are destroyed then so is His plan. Whatever we do that is not rooted and grounded in His love is bound to inflict harm. Every deed must be self-less rather than selfish.

Just as a woman experiences the pangs of labour before she can experience the joy of giving birth, we must experience the trials and birth-pangs of bringing forth the Kingdom of God, our ultimate joy, "on earth, as it is in heaven." As long as we keep in mind that "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me", we will not be deterred in our work.

We must ultimately realize that our salvation lies in the subordination of our personal, local, and national interests, to the interests of humanity.