Monday 2 January 2006

Physical file type abstraction

I have this idea about operating systems and file types - I shouldn't have to know much at all about file types themselves, but rather just that a particular file contains video information. One media player should be plenty, which means I just need drivers to encode and decode the data from the physical file type. I shouldn't need to install Windows Media Player, Quicktime and RealPlayer at home - I should be able to choose one that appeals to me and have it play any video format for which I have a codec. That's a layer of abstraction on top of the current Windows model, so what I end up with is literally video files, images, music, documents and so on, rather than .MOV, .AVI, .MPG, .RM, .JPG, .BMP, .PNG, .GIF, .MP3, .OGG, .WMA, .WAV, .DOC, .PDF, .TXT, .SXW...

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I realise that some media players can use enough different codecs to be almost universal.
PPS - That's just a start.

No comments: