Tuesday 23 May 2006

Flashy Messenger

In MSN Messenger, when you're in a conversation and your counterpart sends a message, the toolbar button flashes to show you something has been said. If you click in, then click out again quickly, the button continues to flash, thereby indicating that something new has been posted - the same new thing you just potentially read. This happens to me all the time, especially when the message I receive is something like "okay".
I think the reason that I get bugged so much by the continued flashing is that Messenger is making an assumption about me and getting it wrong. It believes I cannot have read the message that quickly, and so continues to display it as unread. It's telling me "You didn't read this yet. You clicked in, but you didn't read it." and that's not true.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I do, however, understand why the mis-feature was introduced in the first place.
PPS - I just don't think it should have been introduced.

No comments: