Wednesday 10 May 2006

Introvert Disease

I'm a little bit tired of people treating me like I'm not a proper functioning human being just because I'm an introvert. It's not a choice, nor is it a disease. It is not even - shock! - a problem that has to be solved. It's me. I'm now imagining organising an introvert pride parade, but it would have to be online - say, in World of Warcraft or something.

So here are some things you need to know:
1. Yes, I do like people, actually. I enjoy conversation, too, and I regularly seek the company of others. This is, however, a way I choose to spend my energy, not regain it. I will grow ever more weary if forced to spend my entire day interacting with people.
2. I may be thinking more than I say. The fact that I do not immediately pipe up with my thoughts on a subject does not mean I am not paying attention, nor does it mean that I have no ideas. It also doesn't mean that I'm the deepest and most profound thinker you know.
3. In just the same way as you think I'm strange because I spend time alone, I find it entirely alien that you spend so little time alone. This is just something we will have to grow to understand about each other.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I'm not abnormal, just different.
PPS - That's different from the majority, not necessarily from all of you.

No comments: