Friday 20 October 2006

Internet Explorer 7

Internet Explorer 7 has been officially released. It looks pretty slick. The problem is that behind the scenes, we have some bugs carried over from version 6. This was done knowingly because of Microsoft's near-monopoly on the browser market (though their share is slipping). The reasoning went like this: IE6 has some annoying bugs, and website makers created their sites to work around the bugs. That created the situation where the IE6 bugs became the de-facto standards of the web in place of the actual standards. Now IE7 has come along and, in order to work with the horrors left behind on the web by the bugs of its predecessor, IE7 must replicate those same bugs. And that is how Microsoft enshrined broken software as standard practice.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - The IE7 installation called me a thief, so I quit.
PPS - I looked at it on a co-worker's PC.

2 comments:

Erin Marie said...

Yay for broken software!

What? What other use would we have for IT geeks then?

:P

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I ran IE7 for about five minutes before I discovered it had most of the CSS/rendering bugs held over from IE6 that drove me nuts.

I thought the tabbing system felt really intrusive (and ugly), too.

I'll be sticking with Firefox.