Wednesday 21 February 2007

Using the phone like email

When I'm trying to get things done, I can't be interrupted by the telephone, because then it takes me a while to focus again and knuckle down. Usually by that time the phone rings again. So sometimes I'll turn off the ringer and sit the phone just behind my LCD monitor. It's still in plain view on my desk, but now it makes no sound and the flashing light is hidden. We have voice mail, so people leave messages. At two appointed times in the day, I will check my phone messages. Email gets the same treatment. The really cool part is that I can record a message on the phone and send it off without getting caught in a discussion.

Now I realise this could be seen as mean or anti-social, and it's certainly a lot less personal than answering the phone. The main problem is that I can't do anything effective unless I have the mental space to focus properly. Thus, I create it.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I can't do this all the time.
PPS - That would be too much.

No comments: