Thursday 1 March 2007

Draft sifting strategy

My recent strategy for picking a blog post in the morning has been to look at only the most recent few drafts and pick the best one. If I see an entry that I don't much like, I just delete it to make more room in the window. Since I maintain my draft list in a text file, the default size of the Notepad window dictates how many entries I can see. If an entry does not appear in full in the window, it is not considered yet. As I remove entries by posting, more appear and the file is kept to a manageable size. I think it's working fairly well for me because I no longer have to consider nearly 100 KB of plain-text writing every day, and entries that I don't want to post straight away will eventually have to be deleted or posted to make room. It's forcing me to make some tough decisions on a subset of drafts, and it seems like a good thing.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Reducing information overload is a big usability win.
PPS - And I like making my life more usable.

No comments: