Wednesday 25 July 2007

Open Source Online Role-Playing Games

What would an open-source MMORPG look like? Well for one thing it would be much more open to cheating, and I imagine the servers would be widely dispersed and peer-to-peer networked to make one big game world. There's an interesting thought: a peer-to-peer open source MMORPG that doesn't need central servers for the world, just your spare cycles. I have no idea how it would work, because that's not my area of expertise, but it's a fascinating concept. I guess a few games have come close, like Guild Wars that uses mostly locally-instanced maps and Second Life that is pretty open. I'm not aware of a game run on a global scale without a centrally-controlled server dictatorship.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - The competitive gaming nature would probably be at odds with making the game.
PPS - Then again, it might work.

2 comments:

Pstonie said...

It's not really my area either, but it would definitely create some problems of its own. Instead of being reliant on one connection and it's ping, you'd need many.

Although, if you somehow ensure that each server can do the work of all of them in a pinch...

John said...

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more this seems like a crazy idea. Peer-to-peer connections are designed for redundancy and overall reliability. What do you do when one person's connection drops and an entire map section goes with it? I think the solutions create still more problems that are not worth the effort.