Monday 3 December 2007

Online games dictatorships

Online game subscriptions are taxes to the dictators. They run the country and they set the rules, but your membership is entirely voluntary. Nobody makes you play WoW, unless you are a poor gold-farming slave, I guess.

So how far can the dictators go before the players start leaving in droves? Why would they want to do such a thing? Well, in the end it might not be a conscious choice the dictators make. With absolute power comes absolute corruption. They won't all turn out like that, especially because it's in the best interests of the company to keep the game fun to play rather than a steaming pile of bureaucracy or corruption, but it could happen.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I have recently suspended my City of Heroes subscription.
PPS - But that was because I didn't have time to play any more.

4 comments:

Erin Marie said...

I love the imagery of 'a steaming pile of bureaucracy'.

Also from Friday, the washing machine that stalks around the house, swallowing clothes.

John said...

I do try to be poetic or funny in my imagery now and then. I'm glad to hear it's appreciated.

Anonymous said...

See: Star Wars Galaxies.

Oh, I see I can't put my own URL in with my comments since I'm not with Blogger. How irritating.

John said...

I'll do it for you, assuming I found the correct article:

Star Wars Galaxies.

Glad to be of service.