Monday 7 January 2008

Reasons to be in your job

The way I see it, people can be in a job for the money, the work or the power. Those in it for the work are the ones you want to hire, in the ideal case. If they're in it for the money will at least get the job done, but they won't stay around and they won't have as good an attitude as those in it for the work. If anyone is in a job for the power, they'll pretty much make things worse for everyone.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - It's a bit of a shock coming back to work.
PPS - The biggest shock being the inability to sleep in.

5 comments:

Erin Marie said...

What if you're in it for the people? That is, the people you work with?

John said...

I could try saying that people are a kind of power. You could also be in it for the location, the perks (which is a lot like the money), bragging rights (power or money) - the list just goes on. I guess I don't have a good handle on what motivates the people.

Erin Marie said...

I think it does come down to work, money or power in the end. Money kind of incorporates 'lifestyle' - and it could be argued that if you enjoy the atmosphere of your work, then that's a lifestyle choice.

Tenuous maybe, but it's there.

John said...

I think you had a point in the first place - lifestyle can be another reason for taking a job, and maybe all the other reasons boil down to those four.

Erin Marie said...

So, I AM a genius.

That's what I got out of this discussion.