Wednesday 12 March 2008

Google Calendar Sync

I have changed from using the RemoteCalendars Outlook plugin to the new official Google Calendar Sync, and I'm a fan. It's faster, it seems more reliable, and I don't have to open Outlook at all to sync my calendar any more. It also does two-way synchronising better than RemoteCalendars, so changes I make on my phone get to Google Calendar effortlessly. I do still have to use Windows rather than Linux to complete the transfer to my phone, but that's Nokia's fault, not Google's.

The most beautiful part is this: RemoteCalendars used to stomp on the hidden event IDs, so every time I synchronised my Outlook calendar with my phone I'd get the month's events deleted and re-added. Google Calendar Sync maintains the IDs, so now every sync I only see actual changes.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - It sounds small, but it's a big help.
PPS - Now I'm waiting for an official GMail contact sync application.

2 comments:

Erin Marie said...

You really have your technology working for you. I don't use all the handy things on my phone that I probably could.

I'm impressed.

John said...

As I am fond of saying, what good is technology if it doesn't serve its human masters?

The calendar and note-taking abilities are the primary reasons I chose this phone over the others on offer. In fact, I probably use them more than I make calls.