Thursday 1 May 2008

Open projects allow working from home

Due to some recent changes in our development practices at work, all our work is online. We're working from SourceForge.net with all open-source and free tools, which basically means all I need to get my work done is an internet connection. To make it even easier, we've bundled up the entire package as a VMWare virtual machine and burned it to DVD, so it doesn't even take long to set up on a new computer. What this all boils down to is that I could work from home except for the fact that I do not have permission to do so. Everything else is in place.

It's not like I'd call up to say "I'm never coming in again, suckers!", but it's a good feeling to know that it is possible to set up a project this way. It feels liberating, and makes me think of the office IT department as more of a service provider than the Spanish Inquisition.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - However, sometimes they do still act like Mordac.
PPS - I must be regularly setting off nerd alarms these days.

2 comments:

Erin Marie said...

*insert computer voice here* Good morning John.

You are setting of nerd alerts, but it's a silent nerd alert now. Kind of like a silent burgular alarm that calls the police/security company automatically and they come and suprise the burgular mid-burgle.

Now you can expect the nerd police to show up at any moment when you're in the middle of your nerd stuff.

John said...

I do find the silent nerd alert more considerate, but I can still see sometimes from your facial expression that it's going off.