Friday 7 November 2008

Simple solutions

Sometimes problem solutions are impressively simple. Yesterday, for instance, I had to plug in my phone charger, but because it was designed specifically to occlude the plug to the left, that limited my options. As it turned out, it completely excluded all the options.

My two monitors and PC were switched on and plugged in to the only points available. It would be okay if I could move them, but I'd rather not shut down the whole machine to rearrange the power board. I knew also that I could unplug the monitors with little consequence, but unplugging the computer would be a bad idea. The final problem was that the monitors are on the desk, the power board below it, and all the cords tangle into a spaghetti mess through a hole on their way between those two points.

My solution was to attach a paperclip to the computer power cord and slide it down through the hole. Then when I crawled under the desk, I could easily identify the cord I should not unplug, and was able to move another safely.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Of course, turning off the computer is even more simple.
PPS - But what if that were not an option and you were alone?

No comments: