Wednesday 3 December 2008

Innovative games

I'm interested in alternative games - something that offers something different and innovative as opposed to the same old thing in a new package. If your game is yet another first person shooter, but you've added some sweet new lighting effects, cool weapons and "bullet time" gameplay ... pass. I played shooters already, and I'm done. And real-time strategy only holds slightly more appeal for me.

Today I heard on Slashdot about a game simulating the coordination of disaster relief, which sounds like a pretty cool twist on the RTS genre. And though Portal was pretty much an FPS built to experiment with an innovative game mechanism, it grabbed my imagination right away. So I suppose the lesson is that you don't need to create something truly groundbreaking on every front all at once, but you need to give something genuinely new, not just a new kind of weapon or a different story.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Spore also intrigued me, but I seem to be done with it now.
PPS - Maybe I'll play it more when I have more time.

4 comments:

Kammorremae said...

You should probably visit kongregate.com and check out the platformer series "Shift", very Portal-esque, and very innovative.

John said...

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

Anonymous said...

you should also check out a game called "mirrors edge" really interesting twist on an FPS, its not even really an S mostly just FP pretty bad ass though.

John said...

That does look interesting, and I'm a fan of Parkour, but I don't own a Playstation or XBox. I guess I'll have to wait for the PC version.