Monday 1 December 2008

Risk of serious injury

Sam is getting married this coming Saturday, so the boys naturally took on the traditional buck's party and went kart racing at Kingston Park Raceway. My trophy from the day is a bruised rib that I got in a semi-spectacular crash. Perhaps not that spectacular, but it felt pretty big at the time.

The bruise is on the right-hand side at the back. I'll try to describe the collision. Around a left-hand bend in the road, another kart had spun out and got stuck facing the wrong way. As I came in to take the turn, I saw the hazard, but did not have time to brake or steer far enough out of the way. My kart hit on the side so that I was thrown sideways in the seat. For 30 seconds or so I couldn't breathe and I had to sit out the rest of the race and the finals too.

It's still painful this morning, and I'm going to see the doctor.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - On the plus side, I got the photos that none of us would otherwise have taken.
PPS - The photo doesn't show the bruise particularly well.

No comments: