Tuesday 3 February 2009

Why do you believe that?

I like engaging in theological debate, but the opportunity only rarely presents itself. I like it because it gives me the opportunity to more deeply explore the reasons for my beliefs and the specific ways they differ from the beliefs of others. It strengthens me. Whatever you believe, you must be able to argue for it logically. If your beliefs are true, they can stand up to even the most intense scrutiny.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Face to face is better than online for these discussions.
PPS - I don't intend to start such a discussion here.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Except that a lot of beliefs (religious or political) are based on feelings, and feelings generally can't be rationalized.

You can only get so much logic out of a person before you find yourself debating against that core piece of their soul where modern logic is untouchable. That why most debates tend to end with agreeing to disagree.

I still agree that it's a good way to strengthen your own beliefs, however.

John said...

True. When there is no underlying "right" or "wrong" to a set of beliefs, you end up at a point where the only rationalisation is "I have chosen this case over this one".