Thursday 2 April 2009

The Incredible Disappearing Pictures Folder!

This morning when I logged on to my computer I found that my Pictures folder was inexplicably empty. Just in case something weird had happened, I tried rebooting. Nada. 7GB of photos vanished into thin air. This is why we have backups, people.

Update: Almost immediately when I tried to copy my photos back from a backup, I discovered the problem. I had accidentally set the permissions of the folder too strictly so that even I was forbidden from looking inside. Easily fixed and all the photos have returned now. My bad.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - The operating system is Ubuntu Linux.
PPS - I have five separate copies of my photo collection, not including what's online.

2 comments:

Linda said...

This strikes me as being really funny. You see, I get visuals of being a parent. "No, you cant go outside to play. You are grounded." This simple statement take your own permission to go outside as well and you become a victim of your own rules!

so funny....

John said...

It is kind of funny. At least I was able to change the permissions back, since I was the one who changed them in the first place.