Tuesday 2 June 2009

Dropbox

I have moved to Dropbox as my file synchronisation solution, where I previously used a 1GB flash drive and Unison. Dropbox stores my files online and synchronises them automatically with a folder on each of my computers. This works pretty well for me, because everything is updated more quickly and easily than with the flash drive. I was worried about using an online service, because it means giving someone else access to my data, technically, but I got over it after finding out how much easier it is. I was also concerned at the amount of bandwidth it would use, particularly when I first set it up and uploaded a few hundred MB of files at once. That turned out not to be much of an issue either. So in all, I am pleased.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I try to update my home machines during "off-peak" times.
PPS - Now that all my files are there, most updates are small.

No comments: