Wednesday 22 July 2009

Programming the Microsoft Way

Last night I went to the Queensland Microsoft Developer Network User Group meeting. It's a mouthful, but basically it's a bunch of programmer nerds like me hearing Microsoft hype it's upcoming products. The thing that struck me this time (aside from some cool Silverlight demos and user interface testing tools) is that Microsoft seems to have two significant beliefs about programmers:
  1. Nobody wants to write code.
  2. People are writing their software haphazardly, and we need to make that more pleasant.
Both of these points seem odd to me, since I like writing code and I strive to write it in better ways. If everyone did things the Microsoft way, we'd all forget how to write code at all. That would probably leave Microsoft as the only employer of actual programmers in the world, which I'm sure would not bother them at all.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I arrived just barely in time to grab the last of the pizza on offer.
PPS - And I had to leave halfway through questions at the end of the session.

No comments: