Friday 11 September 2009

A couple of Harry Potter thoughts

I've just realised that in the Harry Potter world, cars are muggle artifacts, but they are used by the Ministry. Arthur Weasley doesn't understand how brakes work, but modified a muggle car to fly via magic. The ministry sent a car to pick up the Weasley clan once, but other wizards don't know the first thing about driving. So do wizards understand cars or not?

Also, Voldemort can apparently fly without the aid of any enchanted vehicle, a feat that no other wizard has ever accomplished. My thoughts, however, go as follows: brooms don't fly on their own - they have some kind of enchantment that makes them do so. Couldn't you apply that same kind of enchantment to, say, a pair of jeans? It might take some getting used to, but once you have some flying pants, I'm sure you'd learn to use them just as easily as a broom.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Maybe flying pants would give too much of a wedgie.
PPS - And, yes, I know wizards wear robes.

6 comments:

Chris said...

I can't imagine riding brooms would be comfortable anyway. Just try sitting on a railing wizard-style and pretend to perform complex aerial maneuvers. That's bad for your pelvis.

John said...

Not too good for the railing, either, I imagine.

Erin Marie said...

Where can I get some of these 'magic pants'?

John said...

I'm guessing you'd have to make them yourself. Not from scratch, but from a pair of pants you already own.

Erin Marie said...

Maybe the new Harry Potter theme park at Universal Studios will sell them.

John said...

We can only hope.