Tuesday 17 November 2009

Apple advertising in email sent from iPhones

The iPhone apparently adds "Sent from my iPhone" to every email, which, although it's straight from Apple, can be mistaken for bragging by the user instead. And since it's easier to leave it on than turn it off, and you don't see it when you're sending messages, you'd probably not turn it off, at least initially. Now imagine if, when setting up email on your iPhone, it asked you "Would you like to advertise for Apple with every email you send?" You'd probably click "No", which pretty much means this "feature" should not exist at all.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I seem to have been writing a bit about the iPhone lately.
PPS - Probably means I subconsciously want one.

4 comments:

miv said...

They're good, but they're no 42 like some of the fanboi's rave on about.

Personally, not having a physical button to cancel a call can be quite frustrating when the sensor is obscured and your screen won't return (hence not providing you the ability to end your call).

Similarly, a lot of the functionality relies on large data capabilities and/or paying more for the "neat/cool" apps. Not the all in one solution it's marketed as.

John said...

Well, that's another thing: the data plans. I could use a phone plan with included data charges, so why do I have to buy an iPhone to get such a plan? I have a co-worker who bought an iPhone plan, then sold the handset on eBay and kept his other touch-screen mobile.

The lack of a dedicated cancel button would probably get to me, too. I like the big red button on my Nokia that, no matter where you are or what's happening, means "exit" or "cancel".

I wouldn't expect one device to be the be-all and end-all of phones and mobile computing. I think it's just the general concept: I want to be on board with mobile computing and decent mobile web capabilities. My phone, though adequate and relatively new, just doesn't scale those heights.

Stu said...

I love my new iPhone, best phone I've ever had, turning off the signature things is quite easy, plus with 3, the phone repayment plus the data charge for 2gb is exactly the same as i was paying for the previous phone and 200mb of data, plus JailBreaking the phone provides for a heap of customisation and free apps, plus the ability to develop your own too

John said...

Now you're just trying to make me jealous.