Tuesday 26 January 2010

Permanently installed Firefox extensions

I have noticed I have three separate Java Console add-ons in Firefox, presumably automatically installed by Java updates, and I can't uninstall them. I'm sure the older two are not necessary, and I can disable them, but they're stuck there for good because they have been marked as not uninstallable. Why is it possible for Firefox extensions to be marked as unremovable at all? That doesn't sound like a browser I own, but one partly controlled by Mozilla. It seems somewhat at odds with the concepts of openness and ownership that such an open-source software project is supposed to embody.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Though I suppose the answer would be that I'm welcome to build my own version.
PPS - That's more trouble than it's worth.

No comments: