Thursday 4 February 2010

I hate writing job application cover letters

What gets to me about job applications is the cover letters. I don't mind submitting hundreds of resumes or failing interviews, but every time I'm faced with writing an application cover letter I balk and delay. If I could, I'd just leave the whole process up to recruitment agents, but those guys are so busy and have so many other clients that I would just slip to the bottom of their attention pile unless I bug them often.

I think the bulk of my problem lies with my perception of how potential employers use cover letters. If it's absent, they disregard your resume unseen. If it's bad, they'll discard your resume during short-listing. If it's a really good cover letter, they'll discard that and read your resume.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I probably have that wrong at some point.
PPS - And I still don't like writing them.

No comments: