Thursday 24 June 2010

eReader price war

As predicted, iPad sales seem to have sparked a price war between Amazon and Barnes & Noble for their ebook reader devices, which is good for consumers. I still like the look and concept of both platforms (tablet and e-reader, that is), and I would still prefer to use an ebook reader or touchscreen tablet for my Creative Commons PDF books than a netbook, if only because of the ability to do portrait orientation, but the prices are still a bit steep when there are format and DRM concerns to iron out. In the end, I'd probably go with the tablet because of its versatility. And I gravitate more to a reverse razor-and-blades arrangement where the device costs, but the content is free or cheap. The device price war, therefore, is focused on the wrong element, even though I welcome cheaper gadgets.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - The ongoing cost of content always outstrips the device.
PPS - Like your bookshelf is far out-valued by the books on it.

No comments: