Thursday 3 February 2011

Reevaluating my blogging procedures

Until now, I have been keeping my blog post drafts in a text file, and selecting my next post from the end, representing the most recent entries, since they're likely to be the most relevant. However, the drafts file has been growing and growing, and I feel like I've been a bit lazy about posting quality. My best work may be lurking in the middle of the file where I'll never see it again.

Enter the Comparator. Now I have written a program to present me with the entire backlog of post drafts, two at a time, and I vote for the one I like best of each pair. The scores are saved, the file sorted and rewritten. Now the best posts will gradually float to the end of the file and the worst ones will sink to the beginning, making this a win in a few ways. I should be posting better quality entries here while saving space removing the worst from the drafts file, and I'm much less likely to overlook a high-quality draft. The first few sortings will take quite some time for me, but after a while, I will start to see much more clearly the difference between my best and worst work.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - So far, I've only made one voting pass.
PPS - But it already looks like it's doing a good job.

No comments: