Tuesday 29 March 2011

Personal data organisation

How do you store and organise your semi-structured data? Do you make lists on paper? Do you file them in any system? Do you have a card index? I struggle sometimes with the amount of data I store, and not all of it has to do with work. I have a lot of text files that grow and grow, lists of TV and DVDs to watch and buy, logs of the time I've spent at work, not to mention my ongoing work diary and personal journal, plus emails, address books and non-time-related writing on various topics not for blogging, but just to lay things out in my mind.

It bothers me that I've never found even a few systems that can handle this to any degree of consistency, availability and robustness. Databases are generally too structured and require tools I don't always have with me. Spreadsheets would be good, but they'd quickly become too large to manage by hand. Text files are clearly inadequate, or else I wouldn't be looking to anything else, and wouldn't be frustrated with them.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I'm probably after a personal wiki.
PPS - But no personal wiki system has ever struck me as adequate either.

No comments: