Tuesday 12 June 2012

Video editing software requirements

What I need in a video editing suite is something dead simple to use (I'm only ever processing a single video file at a time) with the following features as must-haves:

1. Save and load all popular formats, including .avi, .mkv, .mp4, .wmv.
2. Rotate, crop, stretch and shrink operations.

It would be nice to have the ability to split and join files, too, but that doesn't come up nearly as often. I have used Hamster Free Video Converter, which is pretty good on formats, but doesn't do anything but transcode, shrink and stretch, and I've used Windows Live Movie Maker, which can rotate videos easily, but only outputs .wmv. I haven't found anything that can crop images. I need something as simple as Paint to work with single video files. Is there anything like that?

Mokalus of Borg

PS - A quick search turned up comparison articles that don't mention any of my point 2 features.
PPS - Also, because I don't do that much video editing, I'd like it to be dirt cheap or free.

No comments: