Thursday 9 August 2012

Wil Wheaton and Cory Doctorow

I am not a fan of every new thing that comes along. I never got into Game of Thrones, I don't even know why we care about the Kardashians, and even World of Warcraft made no impact on my life. But I do seem to be a fan of Wil Wheaton and Cory Doctorow, and I started wondering why. Yes, they do things that I like, but I've seen a lot of things I like on YouTube and I have never subscribed to a channel before. Liking something doesn't mean I'll keep following the author or creator.

So what makes Wheaton and Doctorow stand out? It's quite likely that part of the appeal is that they're geeks, but part must be that they're very easy to follow. They each have blogs (Doctorow posts to BoingBoing with many others) and they each have a lot of their work online where it's easy to get at and easy to share. I know if I want to recommend Wil Wheaton's TableTop to a friend, I can go and get the link and just email it on. The same goes for Cory Doctorow's books. They're free to share like that and free to experience.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - My stuff is just as free and available as theirs.
PPS - Just not nearly as awesome. Or varied.

No comments: