Friday 7 September 2012

Google two-factor authentication

I have enabled 2-factor authentication on my Google account, which basically means I have a more complicated login process now for my Google services, especially those that are outside a web browser. For each one of those, including Chrome sync, I have to go to my Google account management page, generate an application-specific password, and enter it instead of my usual password.

Why have I decided to put myself through this? Well, Google services are a huge part of my online life. If someone else gained access to them, I would have some pretty big problems. Security is always important, and Google have my most important information, so it makes sense to use extra security measures there.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I quickly got the Authenticator app on my phone.
PPS - It's faster and less annoying than waiting for SMS codes.

No comments: