Friday 22 March 2013

Friday Flash Fiction - Fix

"You gotta let me in, man," said Dave, scratching at his forearm. "Just for a little while."

The librarian scowled at the man with contempt. "Forget it, Dave. We took your library card back for a reason."

"Then just gimme something to read out here! Come on, Mike, a novella? a chapbook? A little pamphlet just to take the edge off? Come on."

"Look at yourself, Dave! When was the last time you took a shower?" Mike could hardly stand the sight of his old friend like this, scrawny and jonesing for a read. And I always thought book addiction was a metaphor or a joke he thought to himself. Looking again at his emaciated friend, he couldn't take it any more.

"Dave, if you promise to get help, I can let you in for an hour. You take it easy here. One book. One! You stay near the desk where I can keep an eye on you, and then this afternoon we'll both go and get you some real help, okay?"

Dave nodded with great enthusiasm, and his old friend led him inside at last, wondering exactly who helps someone addicted to reading.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes." said Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus.
PPS - I don't think he said it in English, though. Just a hunch.

No comments: