Tuesday 11 June 2013

The Internet and languages

The Internet is bringing a lot of people together from different backgrounds and languages, but we don't seem to be learning each others' languages. That's kind of interesting. We might expect that, with a lot of people speaking a lot of different languages online, it would be beneficial to pick up at least a few more words in other languages, but since the web also has rough translation tools and lots of people that do speak your own language, we haven't exactly built the inverse Tower of Babel here. It may be that people seek out information only in their own language anyway, or perhaps it is forcing a lot more people to learn some English, and I don't notice because that's what I speak.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I'd like to be using Duolingo to learn another language.
PPS - But even with the mobile app, because it speaks aloud, I have to schedule time for it, and a lot of my time is already allocated.

No comments: