Monday 1 July 2013

Feminism in games

I watched a good YouTube video on the "damsel in distress" trope in video games, where a girl or woman (love interest or not) is the quest object, disempowered and unable to escape on her own, requiring a man to rescue her. In this type of scenario, for all the difference it makes, she might as well be the protagonist's favourite hat. It's a good investigation of the subject, and I recommend watching it. It was funded by a Kickstarter campaign that somehow produced hate mail and death threats to the producer of the video. I guess it's a good thing her research topic wasn't "video games producing violent misogynistic attitudes in young males".

Because of that (I assume), comments were disabled on this video, which made me just a bit sad for a minute, because I thought it sucked that someone so knowledgeable, passionate and successful has to silence all comments lest she be harassed. Then I remembered that these would be YouTube comments, subtracting value just by existing, and I felt better.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - YouTube seriously needs some spam filtering on comments.
PPS - Or, failing that, ban anything that just consists of "FIRST!".

No comments: