Thursday 10 April 2014

Pegging the creepiness meter

I read recently about a way to sort-of-quantify creepiness. I thought I'd plug in my own self-assessment to the formula and see where I come out. The entire argument is kind of moot anyway, because I'm going on 7 years married now, but it's fun to see. I'm going to go with a star rating, 1-5, on the formula components to come out with a number at the end that's very difficult to interpret and almost totally context-free. Well, the four factors I need to assess for myself to use the formula are:

Awkwardness: High. I'm so awkward I'd rather lose contact than risk saying something stupid. 5.
Forwardness: I am not forward until I know you, and even then it's maybe once per year. Still, I'm not a total shut-in. Rating 2.
Attractiveness: Grading from "lice-bearded hobo" at 1 and "airbrushed supermodel" at 5, I'd rate myself a middling 3.
Persistence: Hmm. I am actually difficult to discourage, I suppose. I'd like to think I am going to back off if you are taken, but in all honesty, I'm likely to carry a torch for a while after that. 4? Go with 4.

The creepiness formula is:
Creepiness = ( (Awkwardness x Forwardness) / (Attractiveness) )^Persistence

In my case, then, that's: (( 5 x 2 ) / 3 ) ^ 4 = 123.45

Wow. That seems really high. How about we compare my score to a confident, go-get-'em jock who, nevertheless, takes "no" for an answer:
(( 1 x 5 ) / 4 ) ^ 1 = 1.25

So, compared to the "ideal" I've just invented, I'm creepier by about a factor of 100. Yikes. Well, that makes sense of my entire (lack of) high-school dating history.

So what adjustments can I make to lower my score? Step 1 should probably be to dial down the persistence. Don't be immediately discouraged, but take a hint (also, learn to read hints). Forwardness needs to go down, too. I can't affect my attractiveness enough to significantly swing the number up, and I can probably only affect my awkwardness for the better with a long process of confrontation therapy. Looking at the formula, it's probably worth it. New predicted result:
(( 3 x 1 ) / 3 ) ^ 2 = 1. Better than the jock. That's because, with these new scores, my awkwardness x forwardness score is the same as my attractiveness, which actually means persistence has no effect. I guess that's good.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - The worst-case value for this formula used this way is about 9.7 million.
PPS - I guess, by that standard, I'm doing pretty well.

No comments: