Friday 9 January 2015

Hurry

Weight: 80.2kg
Distance: 5.53km
Time: 33m:23s
Average speed: 9.94kph

I learned an interesting lessong today: I don't need to rush so much. I've been getting out of bed at 05:30 in the morning, hurrying to the gym, running 5km on the treadmill, showering, dressing and rushing to the train to make it to work by 08:00. This morning, though I still got up at 05:30, I didn't hurry, because I'd built up a little overtime at work and could afford to come in a bit later (it's nice to be a contractor with a flexible employer). So I washed some dishes and took my time at the gym. I even strolled casually on as a train stopped at my home station and left without me, though I could have hurried and caught it. I waited for the next one. Guess what time I got to work?

08:05.

That's it. Five minutes is the only price I paid for staying on top of the dishes and not hurrying. So I think I'll keep doing that.

I'm getting bored of running on the treadmill at the gym. It's not just that it's the same place, same workout, same music on the TV every morning. Actually, I guess it is mostly that, but it's also the treadmill itself. Running on a treadmill is different to running on footpaths. On the footpath I feel like I set my own pace and, now and then, I might need to slow down to keep my heart rate within bounds. On the treadmill it's kind of like being tied to the back of a truck going at a steady pace. You'd better keep up or you'll fall. Your legs play catch-up with the surface and not the other way around. I look forward to having my own bathroom again so that I can run on the streets, the way it should be.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I hate feeling rushed in anything.
PPS - It's just no fun.

No comments: